Monday 19 October 2015

Ich bin ein Berliner II

I recently wrote a blog about why I left England and moved to Berlin. It was a pretty scathing denouncement of English politics and society, and also offered an extremely pessimistic forecast for the future of working people there. 

Rereading, maybe it was a little strong in the end. In truth, it's only half of the story of why I left. Half? Probably less.

Since arriving at the beginning of September I've spent almost every weekday morning at German language classes, trying to wrap my head and tongue around this most inconsistent, bludgingly logical, expansive and grammar-heavy of languages.

Along the way I've discovered the joy/nightmare of compound nouns – individual words formed by joining two or three together (or many many more); particularly those individual words that pinpoints a situation, emotion or feeling that in English we need several lines for.

My favourite so far is

Backpfeifengesicht (Back/pfeifen/gisicht) (n) a face that cries out for a fist in it, or ' a person with a face in need of a fist'.

This one compound noun describes an emotion you might feel when looking at a picture of, say, Jeremy Clarkeson, or people who play loud tinny music from their phones on the bus, or, you know, Tories.

We should totally import Backpfeifengesicht into the English language immediately!

But I came across two more compound German nouns that winded me like a grammatical one-two to the stomach. These words cut straight through the bluster and semi-comfortable narrative that I had built for myself about my emigration, and forced me to coldly address my true motives, even if at the time I wasn't even really aware of what they were.

Torschlusspanik: (n.): the fear, usually as one gets older, that time is running out and important opportunities are slipping away

This one word burrows down, laser-like, to the nub. Having spent 15-odd years working for various wonderful organisations and with a 'achievements' CV that I am immensely proud of, I found myself pushing 40 with limited career options, treading water, and with the niggling feeling that life was passing me by elsewhere.

But added to the Torschlusspanik that was lurking with intent around my stupid head was utter campaign exhaustion and disillusionment with British/English politics. I'd spent 15 years working with some of the best people in the world on brilliantly worthwhile campaigns, and with some minor successes along the way.

But all the time I felt that the Tories, conservative ideology and the right were winning, and would win ultimately, because they controlled the story, the media, the state instruments (police, judiciary etc), the House of Commons (with the Lib Dems, then), the story and, really, the pre-Corbyn Labour Party.

The Tories will use May 2015's surprise election win to destroy the lives of millions. And this made me sink into severe

Weltschmerz (n.): mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state of the world with an ideal state.

15 million British (probably, mostly English), almost half of those who voted, voted for either the Tories or UKIP. And with that the tiny flame of hope that I still held for England was extinguished. In its place a resentment towards England grew.

I think a lot of activists and campaigners suffer Weltschmerz at some point, especially acute after the 2015 elections I imagine. But it's what you do to haul yourself out of it that counts. Some people crack on, more determined than ever to fight for a better world.

I used to be one of those people.

But when hit with a lethal cocktail of Weltschmerz and Torschlusspanik over just a few months, I petulantly threw my toys out of the pram and buggered off to a more progressive country for fun, adventure and new opportunities.

Now then, where's that German grammar exercise book?

No comments:

Post a Comment